Traditional German New Year Cakes, a beloved tradition in my family. The recipe comes from my great-great-grandmother Bauman, perfected in the hills of Switzerland.
Prep that shit
- 2 cups dark syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup raisins (or more)
- 1½ cup currants
- 1¼ oz. anise seeds
- 2 cups graham flour
- 1 cups white flour
- Milk (as much as desired for consistency)
Let's do it
- Mix all ingredients except milk.
- Add milk, stirring slowly, until desired consistency (think pancake batter).
- Cook like a pancake until browned.
- Serve with sausage and bacon.
- Alternatively, brown a small square piece of bacon, pour batter on top, set a small round of sausage on top of the batter. Now cook like a pancake.